Pages

Friday, September 28, 2007

choices

Whenever I am given a choice I choose seafood or food from my native New Mexico. Since it is now chile harvesting time in the Land of Enchantment and I have caring parents who have a food dehydrator I get the best dried green chiles you could ever imagine so I choose chile. You soak these in a little warm water just to soften and then chop em' up and you are good to go, they re-hydrate into the most plump and succulent chiles you could ever imagine. In a few weeks it is red chile season; after the green pods sit in the sun for a while they turn red, same chile - different flavor. There is so much you can do with chile, it is a fruit after all, but simple foods made with care are always the best.

A bowl of beans with a couple spoonfuls of chile is an excellent example, or the more popular 'texas chili' where you mix it all together and let it stew so that the flavors get a chance to know each other and eventually get married. I have posted chiles rellenos, which are roasted and stuffed fresh peppers with a chile sauce poured over. I have posted flat enchiladas, rolled enchiladas, I have posted burritos so whats left? Huevos Rancheros a New Mexico diner classic. ...And someone says it makes you sleep better... cool. (thanks anonymous)



Chopped green chile ready to go. This is good just like this in a quesadilla.



New Mexico green chile with meat.



snapshot of red chile dryng in the sun.



One plate of Huevos Rancheros. Pinto beans, green chile with pork and blue corn tortillas topped with a sunny side up egg.

15 comments:

Little Wing said...

Chiles Rellenos is my favorite Mexican food, I order it religiously when I go out for Mexican.
I am so loyal to that dish!
I crave it!!!!!

snowelf said...

I swear, if we ever have a blogger meet up, we are SO having a pot luck!

And I promise to make something edible. :)

--snow

Anonymous said...

Due to family health issues I began researching "super foods"
That particular family has amazing health benefits and chilli's would you believe can help one sleep!
Here's a link I had book marked from my little research

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1478424.htm

Angel said...

enchiladas are one of my very favorite food ever. When I lived in California, I got hooked. Here in Ohio...well, I don't think they are "original" enchiladas....I want the REAL thing, ya know? Not someone's interpretation of it.

I love spicy food.

Christo Gonzales said...

LittleWing: Me Too! I love em for all the reasons they exist -battered, fried and filled with cheese.

SnowElf: What a fantastic idea - where would we meet?

Anon: thanks - right after you commented I included the link in the body of the post.

Beth: Any version of an enchilada is better than no enchilada at all.

buffalodick said...

I would eat anything you named with gusto! Rellenos I love, but around here only 2 or 3 places make them well...

Christo Gonzales said...

Buffalo: "with gusto" wow you spoke spanish...so fitting for the theme....LOL

Stephanie Faris said...

You probably will hate this but the only way I like chili is with cheese, Fritos chips, and sour cream on top!

Christo Gonzales said...

Stephanie: I like to open up the bag of fritos and pour the chili straight in....- its true.

MommaMonkey said...

So, Doggy, when are you going to put that cook-picture-book together? You could have a section devoted to just things you can do with chiles....I'm still waiting. ;)

k said...

i didn't know chiles were fruit!
and also- yum!!!!!

Little Wing said...

I agree with chels, you should publish a cook book!

pinknest said...

oh goodness, yes!! i see you've gone chile mad. perfect. i love chile rellenos and everything else, too.

Christo Gonzales said...

Chels PJ: its in the works

karen: yup capsicium is a fruit bearing plant

http://www.thehealthstore.com/capsicium.html

LittleWing: I am a slow poke but its chugging along

Pinknest: Ive been chilified.

Gina said...

Oh this was cruel visiting your blog....it's lunch time...there's nothing around but some cold tuna.....and I would love love...mmmmmmm to have some of this dish.....

do you deliver?

gk

Blog Widget by LinkWithin