Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's that time again

Yup, mushrooms, how'd you guess?



After breakfast of Mondongo we........




Passed through into the magical forest.....



we encountered large tortoises.....



and some nasty looking stinkhorns......





Chicken mushrooms and...





Honey mushrooms with a cityscape......




and this bad boy that is similar to a portabella but I forget its name at the moment....when it comes to me I will post it but BTW this ones flavor is not all that great.

Oh and on a side note that guy passing into the magical forest is my mushroom buddy who knows all the edible anythings and he told me the name of this one but I forgot and he said it tastes bad and I tasted it and he was right but "banana" tasted it and liked it and ate all of it.

lets clear up some things....I personally can identify about 6 mushrooms in the wild and thats about it...well maybe 7 or 10 but this guy knows every single living edible thing that is a plant or fungus. He is vegan and our recipes differ but we still eat the same things...mostly. Oh and we went out yesterday (wednesday) morning early and were back in the city by noon.

14 comments:

pinknest said...

wow, that is a monster mushroom! where is this place?!

Christo Gonzales said...

Pinknest: Alley Pond in Nassau County

akakarma said...

Whoa- didn't know there were mushrooms that close... Thought you'd have to go at least to Suffolk county to get them! Maybe even Montauk Point! Fond memories...

Little Wing said...

I will not eat stewed tripe for breakfast or any meal, but the magical forest is cool!
I love mushrooms! The tortoises are so cute!
Any of those magical mushrooms in that magical forest??????

MommaMonkey said...

I think I'm gonna have to start calling you the "Fun-guy"! Get it? Fun-guy...fungi? Get it? Yeah, I know, it's a good-one.

And do those tortoises wild/free? Is that normal up in your parts? Hope they know the difference between the good tasting and bad tasting mushrooms.

Christo Gonzales said...

AKA: they are closer than you think
LW: It is a good soup. Magical all over the place but not this time..in May I did find some
chels: I am really not that fun.

Angel said...

I would definately need him to come with me, mushroom picking. Hey, I have some things growing in my yard....they look like mushrooms....wonder if I can eat those....hmmmmm ;)

Stephanie Faris said...

I'm such a dingbat. My boyfriend bought raw mushrooms and wanted me to help cook them. I said, "I've only made the kind in the can." So we put them in the pan to see what happened and I was pleasantly surprised to see them start to turn brown. They were DELICIOUS.

HAR said...

I can Identify portabella mushrooms in the fresh food aisle. Do I get any points?
Did Banana see the tortoises?

Christo Gonzales said...

Beth: there are more edible or just plain regular mushrooms than there are poisonous ones but it is still good to be cautious.
Stephanie: you are well on your way, did you like the flavor of the fresh ones?
HAR: Banana did not go this time and spotting them in the fresh section is step one.

Little Wing if you read this I cannot post a comment so please e-mail me a link.

Little Wing said...

doggy, you can post now!!!!!

snowelf said...

Yea, I love mushrooms too. But I get mine in the grocery store where I usually assume most of the food in there is edible. ;)

Although when I was little, we used to pick moral?(sp) mushrooms at my grandparent's farm and they were SO delicious to me.

--snow

FHB said...

I'd always be to scared to mess with any shrooms. But then, if you know what you're doin'...

JerBear said...

Doggy & Snow,

Our 2nd Morrel Season just ended... Spring season is the one I wait for here in the PNW as not only do I get enough to satisty my needs, but I can sell them for a nice profit. Nothing beats a long walk in the woods that can make you 20 bucks a pound.

Jer

Blog Widget by LinkWithin