Bacteria have the unfortunate reputation of only causing disease. While there may be some truth to this, there is such a thing as ‘good’ bacteria. As a matter of fact, there’s a growing body of evidence which shows that certain kinds of live bacteria in foods can treat or even prevent many illnesses. For example, it’s commonly known that women that eat yogurt regularly are less likely to suffer from yeast infection. Consuming yogurt, which contains the bacteria already present in the digestive system, can help to maintain the healthy bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract, and aid in warding off upset stomachs, headaches, and even anxiety. You’ll find this ‘good’ bacterium in many different kinds of yogurt, often labeled probiotic.
Most of us are of the mind that if it’s good for you, it probably doesn’t taste very good. If you have children, you probably face this problem day in and day out. A child (and some adults, for that matter) doesn’t care or understand that putting a healthy amount of yogurt into the diet can help to ease lactose intolerance, reduce the negative effects of taking antibiotics, and even help ward off eczema. For those stubborn eaters in your life, there’s wide variety delicious yogurt recipes that not only provide the benefits of probiotics, but are enjoyable to eat.
Rather than ice cream for dessert, try this simple Yogurt Sundae. It’s sure to be a hit with kid and adult alike:
What You’ll Need:
- Microwave safe bowls
- Sundae dish or serving bowl
- 1/4 cup of frozen berries
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 3 tbsp low-fat milk or cream
- 1 8 ounce container of vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts (optional)
- If berries are frozen, put berries in microwave safe bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Microwave until thawed.
- Put the chocolate chips and margarine in a microwave safe bowl and cook until melted. Use a fork to stir until smooth and creamy, and then stir in the milk or cream until incorporated. Set aside.
- Heap the yogurt into the sundae dish or bowl. Spoon fruit over top.
- Pour on the chocolate sauce and then sprinkle with nuts.
Simply multiply the ingredients of this recipe to make more servings, and in less than 10 minutes, you have a delicious dessert. The best part is that your family probably won’t know that it’s healthy for them.
*I received compensation for this post