Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Guest Post: Halibut with Cannellini Beans from Ciao Chow Linda


A while back I had asked for some guest posts and my lovely friend Linda from the blog Ciao Chow Linda has been gracious enough to bestow one upon me. I have been reading Linda's blog for years now and she never fails to delight with her travels and with her recipes. I hope you enjoy this post as much as I do.

One of my favorite fish is halibut. It's got a delicate, sweet flavor, firm white flesh, and marries well with all kinds of flavors. Even people who claim to hate fish may be won over once they taste this largest of all the flat fish. 
Did you know that halibut can grow to more than 8 feet long and weigh as much as 700 pounds? Take a look at the largest Alaskan halibut ever caught by sport fishermen, weighing in at 459 pounds. Imagine cleaning that whopper.  Most of the halibut we eat here in North America comes from the Gulf of Alaska. While on a trip there a couple of years ago, I ate my fair share of halibut, but here in New Jersey, the price keeps me from enjoying it as much as I'd like. So when it went on sale last week at my market, I couldn't resist.
This recipe is a one-dish meal that's simple to make, tastes great and is low-cal too. If you can't find fresh halibut, or want something less expensive, codfish can easily be substituted. The recipe is for two portions, although the accompanying photo shows just one portion served in a small casserole.

Halibut with Cannellini Beans

for two people:
halibut - between 3/4 and 1 lb., skin removed
6 scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. olive oil
1 can cannellini beans (about 15 ounce can), drained and rinsed
1 can chopped tomatoes (about 15 ounce can)
1/4 cup dry white wine
salt, pepper to taste
fresh basil

Saute the scallions and onions in the olive oil until softened. Add the tomatoes and liquid from the can and cook for a few minutes, smashing the tomatoes a bit with a fork. Add the white wine, the cannellini beans, salt, pepper and shredded fresh basil. Simmer for about five minutes, then add the fish. Put a lid on the skillet, then let everything cook together for about five more minutes. That will be long enough to cook the fish. Garnish with more fresh basil and serve.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Holy crap that's a big fish!

CreativeMish said...

Yum! This looks really good. I would have never thought to combine the Halibut and Canellini Beans

Angel said...

I love canellini beans. Just had some on my salad tonight.

MyFudo™ said...

That is a biggie! I'd love to try this recipe one of these days...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin