Pages

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Independence Day red bliss potato salad for the 4th of July 2011


Everybody loves a side dish especially when the side dish is potato salad and especially if that potato salad is made by none other than me. This potato salad was many years in the making to get it to its "blissful" state and I will tell you why. I hated potato salad growing up! It had to be the way people were making it. I refused to even try potato salad for many years based on the simple fact that I already decided that it sucked. Then one day in or around the time I was 20 years old or so someone asked me to make "the potato salad" and it was at this point that the epiphany occurred - "from this day forward it will no longer suck" I said to myself.

I would not use huge chunks of over boiled eggs and some sort of "miracle" mayonnaise - no not me. In fact I will tell you my little recipe for 5 pounds of potatoes right now so that you will no longer have to suffer through "that other" potato salad ever again. This recipe has been tweaked through the years to get it to the simplicity that it is today.

Christo's Blissful Red Bliss Potato Salad

5 pounds of Red bliss potatoes cut into bigger than bite size chunks
7 jumbo eggs boiled for 5 minutes - chopped fine
small handful of rosemary
1 tablespoon of dried mustard (Colman's)
1 cup of real mayonnaise
1 small red onion - diced
2 stalks of celery - diced
1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil potatoes in salted water with rosemary until fork tender drain and cool quickly - once cool mix in everything else and cool some more - thats it - its done.

Find a roof top and enjoy.

We are taking applications for volunteers to clean up and build a nice deck on the roof but until then this is it - so if you want to complain about the graffiti and what not you can be one of those volunteers.

You can start immediately.

The perks are the unobstructed sunsets....

.....and Macy's fireworks in the distance

....and lounge chairs and bbq picnics.

25 comments:

Devaki said...

Wonderful and just what I need for my post Independance day pool-bbq party today. Woo..hoo :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Sippity Sup said...

Rooftop fireworks in Manhattan. That's almost like poetry. I like the graffiti by the way. GREG

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Christo - love the simplicity and name of your potato salad. Sounds a bit like my mom's except for the rosemary - which is a great idea...
I bet it tasted like heaven up there on the roof.
Looks like you all had a marvelous 4th. Love the city shots.
LL

Anette said...

What a lovely rooftop bbq! Your young lad looks relaxed and enjoying the night and the potato salad!

Marjie said...

I've always hated potato salad, too. In no small part that's because everyone puts peppers in it and I'm allergic. Love the pictures of your roof. It's not too far to travel to see the fireworks, is it?

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Man, you do know how to live with the rooftop view. I'm not fond of miracle potato salad either and I would put rosemary in everything I touched if I had my way.
Sam

Barbara said...

Much like my mother's potato salad...basic and delicious. Will be adding rosemary next time.

As my daughter lives in NYC, I am well acquainted with roof top parties. Nice you could enjoy the fireworks from up high!

Tina @flourtrader said...

Cool rooftop view! Looks like you had a nice 4th. Thanks for the potato salad recipe and for not using gallons of mayo, like most people. Just enough to make it tasty but no swimming potatoes.

Lilly said...

I love your potato salad! It has everything that makes it good in it. I bet it tasted even better the next day...if it lasted that long.

Anonymous said...

Your potato salad is almost exact to my recipe. I happen to think it's simplicity is perfect delicious. However, I've never put rosemary in mine. I'll have to give it a try. I'm a fan of grafitti. You should rent the movie "Exit Through The Gift Shop". I somehow think you'd love it.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

OMG - that sunset is stunning! I want to view a sunset like that on your rooftop, watching Macy's fireworks and eating your potato salad.

Angie's Recipes said...

I think graffiti look nice there ;-)

Consciously Chaotic said...

That brought a tear to my eye. I miss my rooftop. Oh those summer nights, sigh....

Lyn Reid

Unknown said...

Wouldn't it be fun to put a ton of sand on the roof? I think its awesome just the way it is. Very NY.

Jeannie said...

Sounds like you've got a place in heaven on that rooftop, grafiti and all! Great looking potato salad, I could do with some of that!

Velva said...

Proof that simple is best. I am planing to adopt your potato salad recipe as my own.

As for your rooftop? It has a lot of soul.

Cheers.
Velva

Vickie said...

Late as usual . . .
Love this recipe - the rosemary sounds delicious with the boiling water. I usually add bay leaves, but like this idea.

What I'm crazy about is the grafitti rooftop patio in New York! Very fun, Christo. I'd help with the project for your cooking and those views!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Wow, I think I just saw that same sunset, from a different roof top, on another blog. Wow! Thing of Beauty!

I make my grandma leila's potato salad which is the greatest stuff. Yours looks incredibly good also! Cheers!

Jamie said...

I miss parties on the rooftop of my brother's old Brooklyn apartment. And blissful is right: this is some fabulous potato salad!

Doc said...

Delish summer recipe.As the Crash Test Dummies used to say, "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Magic of Spice said...

That is quite a view! And love the potato salad...one of my favorite sides for summer and BBQ's :)
Hope you ate having a great weekend!

tavolini said...

I'd do it! Great shots and I'll have to try this, as I am not a fan of potato salad, myself :)

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

I love potato salad with eggs in it! Looks the the perfect summer potato salad!

Stacey Snacks said...

I'm just catching up on posts now.....these photos are magical.

Stacey Snacks said...

PS Hellman's rules

Blog Widget by LinkWithin