Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Cook with Color - Project Food Blog

I am a contestant in the foodbuzz sponsored event titled Project Food Blog. There will be a series of challenges and I am more than psyched to get in there and get busy, it will require participation on your part in the way of votes - voting starts on September 20th and continues until the 23rd, I will be asking for your vote.

Some of you might be new to my blog so here is a little background and an introduction of sorts. I have been blogging for five (5) years, the same blog, the same URL, its always been a little bit of christo but the blog name was called What? for a long time until I decided that in order for me to really let people get to know me then I should show them what I do best and that is cook. So three (3) years ago I changed the name to ChezWhat? to play on the French phrase for house of what, since a lot of French restaurants are called Chez something or other, and thus the food blog was born. I believe learning recipes is great but learning technique is grand. ChezWhat? is a virtual bistro with an ever-changing menu based on the freshest most unique ingredients of the season that I present in an artful way showcasing their natural beauty typically with out a recipe.

Fast forward and here we are now. So what makes me the number one food blogger, I will tell you what - I am prolific, I maintain my focus before and long after the job is done, I am a lover who never tires, I blog because it means I can do it over and over again, I am a champ who never quits and its hard to keep me down, I only see opportunities and challenges make me happy. I have drive. I have been passionate about cooking since I was a kid I would jump off the school bus and race inside to catch the last 15 minutes of Julia Child. I have been passionate about keeping a diary for just as long - blogging affords me the opportunity to do both and to reach a much larger audience than simply carrying around my notebooks and by some oft chance letting someone have a look. I completely enjoy what I do and I get even greater enjoyment from sharing it with others, and the beauty of it all is I am still learning.

I am from New Mexico, my family has lived there for hundreds of years and many things have been passed down from generation to generation, I grew up on a small farm with milk goats and cows, chickens, pigs and sheep. I moved to New York City after college and this giant melting pot has taught me to experiment with flavors, colors, textures, methods and I top it all off with a flower. I believe everything benefits from a cherry on top.

This is a poached egg on an english muffin with sauteed wild oyster mushrooms and hollandaise surrounded by glazed baby carrots with marigold honey a baby cucumber and wild flowers sprinkled with New Mexico red chile powder. Simple things simply made beautifully arranged. Simplicity at its finest, cooking with colors.

65 comments:

East Village Eats said...

Good luck bro. I didn't enter, but you know that I'll be voting for you & re-tweeting your entries! Represent the East Village!

Belinda @zomppa said...

ChezWha? =) Love the colors you use in your cooking and your passion. Eating colors is also the way to go!

Christo Gonzales said...

EVE: thanks J - I appreciate that - representing the hood!

belinda: colors -it sure is isnt it...

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

These pictures are gorgeous! I'm also participating in PFB and I'm looking forward to reading everyone's great blogs!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Marigold honey. Ooh la la. I'm so pleased you've entered. It's all about color these days.

Bonne chance, as the French say. You've got my support.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I love the colors! Good luck!

Vicki said...

Gorgeous pictures! Good luck to you!

Kristen said...

That plate is art itself. What a glorious combination of color, texture and flavors. Best of luck in the contest!

Jeannie said...

Continue with creations like that and you'll be on your way to the top position!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Wow this is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I like your introduction.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Beautiful pictures! Best of luck in the contest :o)

Vickie said...

Beatifully prepared, arranged, photographed and written, Christo! I love your use of color and the simple deliciousness in your dishes. No doubt you are a shoo in.

Koek! said...

You have taken simplicity to a new level - this is more like art. And what's more, it looks delicious! Good luck with the project.
Robyn x

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post, and I love that you use flowers in your cuisine! Good luck with PFB, I'm sure you'll do very well!

Heather S-G said...

Gorgeous plate, Christo...good luck =)

Angie said...

Absolutely beautiful photos- the colors are amazing!

Barbara said...

That is one of the most lovely presentations I have seen in ages! And not one thing on that plate I don't love. You have cooked with color indeed, but the flavor is there as well. Kudos!

Good luck with Project Food Blog!

lisaiscooking said...

Goodl luck with Project Food Blog! Love all the color in the poached egg dish.

Jason Phelps said...

Good luck with PFB. Your pictures definitely make a distinction for you. The colors are so vibrant.

I will be back often for some inspiration with my own compositions. I already feel like a PFB winner, and I haven't even posted my first post yet, because I have found so many new blogs and bloggers to learn from.

Jason

Duchess said...

The colors are so addictive! Best of luck.

Debbie said...

love the story of "What" - do like Chez What - as always beautiful color in your recipes and work...

much luck from one contestant to another!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Great write-up and BRILLIANT dish! Just beautiful.

Sharon Rudd said...

Beautiful, colorful, inspiring, delicious photos as always! Best of luck with the contest - can't wait to see more of your posts for it!

Unknown said...

I really love this angle...and such beautiful photos!

Marjie said...

Your cooking is always so pretty, but I guess you can swat one pup away for a minute or three, whereas my horde just swarms around...Good luck with the contest.

Marjie said...

Oh, and my dearly beloved laughs at me for making sure there's color in all the meals. My line is, "I need two veggies, one of which must be green." My kids could recite it before they went to school.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what wonderfully colorful photographs! You're lucky to have such an abundance of edible flowers. Good luck in Project Food Blog!

Baking Barrister said...

That is a gorgeous gorgeous dish. Cooking with color is a great philosophy--it makes food more appetizing and usually much healthier. Good luck with PFB!

FOODalogue said...

I think this challenge is great fun and I love seeing everyone's different approach to the first challenge. Hope we stay on the playing field to the end. You've got one of my votes in Challenge 1. Good luck!

Jenn said...

I had thought of entering, but my time is very limited right now because of work. But I wish you the best in the contest.

I want me some poached egg right about now. It's actually thanks to you that it's one of the top way I like to have cooked eggs. :)

Cynthia said...

It is such a thrill learning about the "behind this blog". You have my support. Go get them!

Rebecka said...

Simply Beautiful! Natures harvest at it's best!!

I've been curious about becoming a editor for Foodbuzz but the contract is pretty involved. Kinda afraid to sign on the dotted line? I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter if you would be willing to share. I have a public email on my blog if you would prefer contacting me there.

I added your Blog Badge to my blog

sophia said...

You're a tough guy with a sensitive, artistic touch. And yay! I finally know the meaning behind "ChezWhat?" because I always just thought it was some kind of snarky retort or something.

Best of luck! :-)

elz + pab said...

what fabulous photos! the colors are amazing. looking forward to following your blog - glad we connected on foodbuzz!

- ellen from bottomlesskitchen.com

Sippity Sup said...

I came to check out the competition and you brought game! I like that. Good Luck. GREG

Mo Diva said...

You are definitely one of hte big fish i am bettng on. I hope you go all the way to end dude. Your work is SICK in the most complimentary way!
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great post - and what a lovely plate with a delicious poached egg and mushrooms! You definitely have my vote :)

CreativeMish said...

I love food with a lot of colors. For some reason it's like tasting a rainbow. Everything should be bright and colorful! Good luck on the contest.

Lea Ann said...

Beautiful! And Good luck. Can't wait to follow along with all of my favorite contestants.

Anette said...

That plate looks like a meadow full of flowers and color! Or the palette of a food artist: you!
Good luck!
Hope you leave an entry in the the Culinary Smackdown September2010
http://krakilette.blogspot.com/2010/09/last-chance.html

Joanne said...

You do make life, and food, a lot more colorful Christo! And you are seriously passionate. That I can attest to :)

Joie de vivre said...

Good luck! :)

Jill said...

Too pretty to eat!

Velva said...

You always have my vote!

chow and chatter said...

all the best Christo I think you already are a star

Doc said...

Well said my friend! You've got my votes!!

The Diva on a Diet said...

And this is by far the most colorful and beautiful entry I've seen! I agree, so much fun to read all the entries. Good luck, dog, my money's on you!!

Jill said...

Voted!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the challenge! Great hearing your story and discovering your blog. Looking forward to tuning in regularly.

Daily Spud said...

Love the cooking with colour theme - you'll have a vote from me, sir!

Jackie at Phamfatale.com said...

I'll be voting for you. I love the way you blended all the colors in the plate. It's absolutely beautiful!

tavolini said...

This is a fantastic post! I love the photos--just incredible. Your font is clear and really grabs the eye.

As always, its the content that keeps me coming back :)

Speakeasy Kitchen said...

Love the gorgeous colors -- you got my vote!

Bosque Belle said...

I think taste buds can 'see' color! I've eaten your egg dishes and they're just as vibrant with my eyes closed! Good luck!

The Duo Dishes said...

Of course you got a vote. Your creativity never ends. Each dish, even your most simple, is still very complex. You're teaching us along the way!

The Cilantropist said...

Wow this is colorful! I love to cook with color too, and find that most of the beauty of cooking comes from natural ingredients. Great post, good luck with PFB!

Lori Lynn said...

The color is psychedelic! Fantasy on a plate.
Good luck!
LL

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said...

Love it! I'm voting for you, I'd love to see what you'd make next! Good Luck!
-Gina-

Magic of Spice said...

Great entry post...love everything on your site, voted :) Best wishes with PFB...

angela@spinachtiger said...

Gorgeous. As an artist, this caught my eye and you got my vote.

Rylan said...

Oh yes, cooking with color can make a huge difference! Love the collection of ingredients--way to go!!!

Good luck on everything!!!!!!!!!
It was nice to check your blog again.

Anonymous said...

Hello

Can I link to this post please?

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

You can count on me amigo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin