Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

albondigas are spanish for meatballs


I had a request a few days ago to make something Mexican. I asked about the basic construction of the dish and I was told its little meatballs with rice in a chiles chipotle sauce, ok sounds easy enough.

Typical of me I had to do it my way. I pretty much understood the concept of this dish and decided that the meat balls - the albondigas - would be much better with a mixture of beef, lamb and pork and some fresh herbs of the season. The store was out of ground lamb so I picked up a couple of loin chops and ground my own and decided that the fresh oregano I had picked earlier in the day was going to be the perfect herb for my dish.

Of course I had to make bite size albondigas and that took a little extra time but it was so worth it with the smokiness of the fresh tomato and chipotle chile sauce that simmered on the stove top while the meatball factory (me) was going to town. I am going to miss the fresh ingredients when there is 4 feet of snow outside but until then I am enjoying every minute of it.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

These little meatballs look amazing especially with the smoky delicious sauce!

monica said...

Excuse me - I have to go and shop for .. meatballs now :o)

Victoria said...

Yummy! Great job on these :)

Marjie said...

I too prefer little meatballs. They just seem like so much more fun!

vanillasugarblog said...

mmmm yes please. i have wanted, for some time, now to do the great meatball cookbook. for i am a HUGE lover of all things meatballs.

Emily Malloy said...

Deeeee-lish!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Sight...don't remind me of the snow that is most definitely going to come.

These little meatballs look great. I would gladly go for a few :)

Gigabiting said...

Meatballs are so very hot right now. I just posted Meatball Madness yesterday, looking at the trend. Albondigas are a favorite.

Barbara said...

You did a fabulous job! I wish I had some in my kitchen right now!

Joanne said...

What is it about tiny meatballs that make them taste better than super large ones? These looks delicious.

Belinda @zomppa said...

You can call it anytime and I'll like them!

Mo Diva said...

oh dog. Those are beautiful!
I've had my first albondigas a month ago... and holy smokes! So good. I love your spin on it!

So Smart!

Unknown said...

I want to try this, looks beautiful:)

Marjie said...

Hey, Dog, someone I know has a question on some mushrooms he found in his yard. Can you identify them from a pictuer on his blog?

bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com or he's on my side bar.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Chipotle sauce is so versatile. I love it. Great meatballs.

Congratulations on advancing to the next round in the Foodbuzz challenge. We're with you all the way. Best of luck.
Sam

Devon said...

You ground your own lamb? That is impressive.

Magic of Spice said...

Wonderful :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin