Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Who ever doesnt like to win says "its only just a game"





There has been this Culinary Smackdown gaining momentum and I have been a participant on more than one occasion, each time giving it my all only to be bested by somebody better. Well those days are over!

I won the last round of competition which was hosted by the very talented, very charming and very Intuitive Eggplant. You can follow that link to see all the other delicious entries for the theme "summer veggies." As the winner I have now been bequeathed the title of Judge and as the Judge I have to come up with a new battle and a date when it all goes down. I dont know if there are any rules but now that I am Judge I will clear that up right here and now: There are no rules! So without further ado I pronounce The August Culinary Smackdown Challenge to be

- Battle Sandwich-

You heard me right the lowly sandwich but believe you me there is nothing and I mean nothing lowly about a sandwich. Look -here's sandwich now. I dont need to go into the whole Earl of Sandwich sales pitch to enlighten you in any way. You eat sandwiches or you know someone that does. What is a sandwich, a sandwich is any filling between two pieces of bread - that is the only real consideration here, the sandwich must contain some kind of a bread and some kind of a filling so for all you witty ones out there this means that lettuce wraps are out.

As an example I present to you what would be a perfectly fine entry, one with chile and one without.

Thats right, hamburgers and hot dogs are a sandwich and in the same light so would a taco and a burrito fit in just as snuggly. Good luck people your entries are due to be posted on August 23 at which time I will assemble them and pick a winner. Please e-mail me your link when you have your sandwich post up and on August 24th we will see the compilation and see who is the champion.

good old dick dyoung wouldve liked a sandwich throwdown

36 comments:

Heff said...

OOOOOhhhhh. DESTINED to be A LOT of entries for this one, lol !!

I'll try to think of something unique.

I usually request that all the contestants post their entries on the actually Smackdown DATE, so it's easier to keep up with all of 'em, but whatever floats your boat !

Sheri said...

if you need a taste tester, give me a call ;)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

What a delicious idea. I made a great sandwich for lunch - before I read this entry. I can't wait to see what shows up here.

Marjie said...

I'm not usually that great with sandwiches, and you know my pictures are never as pretty as yours. Well, as the late, great Buff would say, it's all in the flavor, right?

And my motto is not, "It's only a game." My motto is, "She who has the most toys wins."

Christo Gonzales said...

Heff: that makes the most sense - what was I thinking - its been changed - all entries due on the 23rd!

sheri: I dont think I have your number...

Ciao: I have a good feeling about this.....

Christo Gonzales said...

marjie: thats a good motto - and your photos are fine - come up with a "tasty" sandwich and the photo will speak for itself...

Lea Ann said...

I've always love a good arm wrestle. I've got a couple of sandwich ideas up my sleeve...might just enter in the fun. And you're the judge?...By the way Doggy...have I ever told you that I think you blog is the best in the entire universe of blogdom and also you're the best looking blogger ever....... :-)

Christo Gonzales said...

leeAnn: thats a real nice try but I think I might need to give you my paypal account...*wink* *wink*

Sharon Rudd said...

Great theme, Dog. This will be lots of fun! (And thanks for your kind comments - now you're making *me* blush.)

Heather S-G said...

I haven't heard of this smackdown
til now...count me in...I love me some sammies!!

Drick said...

stay tuned for a smacking time I am sure ... will watch for entries....

Velva said...

Congratulations. I saw your entries for the vegetable smackdown-amazing. buff would have commented that your food was pretty ;-) Then followed by a "snarky remark" It is damn pretty! No doubt it tasted wonderful. i was crying over the tomato aspic. I can see why you won.

Your next challenge is going to be interesting. I am looking forward to it.

Jeannie said...

Looking forward to stealing some sandwich ideas from here soon! :D

Christo Gonzales said...

eggy: let see I might have bit off more than I can chew

girli: join the fray

drick: keep tuned...

velva: I hope you join us with a sandwich of your own..

jeannie: no fair if you dont put up one to take.....

GrumpyGranny said...

Oh, yeah, I LURRRRVE a good sammich! I'm in!

GG

LaDivaCucina said...

LA DIVA IS IN BITCHES, PREPARE TO LOSE AND WEEP!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

Jen said...

Hmmm...I do have a few ideas so perhaps I will have some time to get creative and show you all what a THROWDOWN really feels like.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Well first, congratulations on your win, second, hooray for a sandwich throwdown! I'm all about this! I love me some hot dogs...

CreativeMish said...

I wish My Handyman were home... I'd have him make his prize winning grilled cheese.. You'd be very surprised!

Angie's Recipes said...

I like the song.... like the sandwich even more!

Christo Gonzales said...

Looks like you all are gettin' called out - LaDiva means bizness

Unknown said...

Wow those are some dogs but I will not eat a dog without a slice of fresh tomato, no way baby!

mermayd said...

i think i will take you up on this challenge!

Jeanne Estridge said...

I'll be an interested observer to this one....

buffalodick said...

Doggyblog - Congrats on winning the smackdown! Buffalo Dick would have been pleased. I'm not starving - Rich, Craig, Jen and I made brunch this morning - Belgian waffles(with Jens , Rich's girlfriend, special touches of vanilla, cinnamon and orange zest in the batter); sausage patties, fresh strawberries and orange juice.

chow and chatter said...

cool challenge and congrats on winning

nora@ffr said...

oh my!! m loving the sandwich much moreeeeee.. :D

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I love sandwiches. Somehow I knew you loved hot dogs. Who doesn't? A big congratulations to you!
Sam

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I'm on it and I'm going to blow you out of the water. Bring it!

Angel said...

hmmmm.....Aug. 23 is Dirtbike Boy's birthday....so I think I may have to enter this one....we shall see.

LaDivaCucina said...

The hardest part for La Diva will be picking which sammie to post that will make you all cry and drool at the same time. Cry cuz you wish you thought of it and drool cuz it will be so damn fine. heheheeeeeee.....

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Heather said...

Congrats on your win!! And what a cool idea. Count me in as sandwiches are only my favorite thing to eat!

Victoria said...

Yum, who doesn't love sandwiches!! I'll see if I can come up with something special before the deadline :)

Lea Ann said...

I don't see how to contact you ny email. Just want to inform you that I posted my sandwich entry.

www.highlandsranchfoodie.wordpress.com

Vickie said...

Darnit, late for the party as usual. Don't imagine I will get in on this. :(

At least I will get some great sandwich recipes - and congrats on your win!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin