Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oxtails as a tropical delight? Thats right! I made pasteles.

Pasteles are a big treat around here because they are so labor intensive to make, all the folding and tying and what not, not too mention the effort that goes into making the masa but I was challenged recently to do something with oxtail and I decided to do this tropical delight.



I wont bother you with all the details - instead you can watch this dark and out focus video to see how it all gets done.

Basically I put some oxtails in the pressure cooker.

made some masa out of squash and yucca and green banana and yukon gold potatoes and folded and wrapped and tied a bunch of mini pasteles and simmered them until perfect.


Then I plated up some tasty mini pasteles with some spicy pineapple salsa a little kiwi lime sauce, yellow tomatoes, red tomatoes, some cucumber and some micro greens - and thats all she wrote.

12 comments:

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks good.

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Love your photos & the pasteles look delicious! What wine would pair with them...hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Oxtails..I love oxtaail soup.I love meat.and eating everything of teh bone.Great idea;))

Doc said...

Awesome. So good to see fantastic cooking with challenging but rewarding ingredients like ox tails! I love the pasteles; since it is a labor of love and they are labor intensive it just means more love went into them.

The Blonde Duck said...

Did you ever get my e-mail?

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I would love to try oxtails. You've really taken them really upscale Christo.
Sam

The Culinary Lens said...

Those oxtails look like they were sucked clean. Do you really expect me to believe you got all that mean off with a knife LOL
The magic of pressure cookers
These look like some goo latin food

Marjie said...

Dark and out of focus is a common video explaining something. Looks like you made a wonderful tropical delight!

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Christo - I always enjoy your videos. Somehow you compel me to watch all six minutes.

First time I see banana leaf wrapped in parchment. Very interesting. I bet these were awesome. Love the garnish and the interesting combination of ingredients.
LL

teresa said...

i've never had anything like this, what a treat indeed!

The Food Hunter said...

Looks really good...I love ox tailss. I will have to try making this

Tanya Kristine said...

tried those once...me no likey.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin