Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Nostalgia, New Mexico and Navajo Tacos

When this time of year rolls around I get incredibly nostalgic for my home state of New Mexico, The Land Of Enchantment. I think about the chile roasting everywhere you turn, I think about the New Mexico State Fair and all the fair food and I think about Navajo Tacos.
I make some dough and let it rest and rise while I get the rest of the ingredients together. This is going to be my "fry bread" and its the base for the taco.
Rehydrating some New Mexico green chile that I roast, peel and then dehydrate so it has a long shelf life.  Then I brown some ground beef and add in lots of garlic and other herbs and spices and beans to make a delicious taco meat. Today I had some radish greens so I sautéed them up till nice and tender.
Roll out, or stretch out some dough into a thin disc and fry it till its golden then pile on the toppings. I make my Navajo Tacos considerably smaller than what is considered the "normal" size since I like them to be more manageable - and - I want to eat more than one. Navajo Tacos - part of my youth, my adulthood and my memories of home.



3 comments:

Velva said...

Delicious. I find food like this to be comforting and soulful.

Velva

Anonymous said...

You never disappoint. I've never made fry bread but it is on the menu for the coming week. You inspire. Victoria

Chris said...

I'll add this to the rest of the cornucopia of green chile uses that I have been reading since I got a windfall of green chiles. Do you get fresh green chiles there or do you get them flown in from New Mexico?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin