Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

In a Pickle - CCC - Creative Cooking Crew made the challenge "pickle"


Green eyed green horned flying purple pickle eater - is that how the song goes? Well if it doesnt I made some purple pickles for nothing. This is an easy recipe that you can make in less than 24 hours.

Boil some beets until soft.

Boil some eggs until they are at your desired state of semi-hard boiled.

Put eggs in a glass or a jar or a bowl and add sliced garlic, rosemary, hot green chile and then cover halfway with the hot boiling liquid from the beets and then cover completely with white vinegar, add a slice or two of fresh beet to kick up the color and set aside 6 hours or over night.

You dont want to leave the eggs in the pickling agent for too long or they will become like bouncing rubber balls, so this is something that you can add eggs too often and eat often.

There are probably a few bars around New York City that still have a big jar of these pickled eggs behind the bar for the hungry beer drinker that wants a little pickled nutrition while he pickles himself but I dont thing there are any that offer purple pickled eggs. I made these once (not pickled but colored with beet juice) and turned them into deviled eggs for a breast cancer awareness event. Check out the others and lets see what got pickled.


9 comments:

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Yup you did it again. The colors are beautiful and your fotos too.

Joan Nova said...

As always, a beautiful presentation. I've seen pickled eggs before but I must admit to having never tried them.

Lori Lynn said...

Those are radical. Bet they taste delicious too. Great pickle for the pickle party!
LL

LaDivaCucina said...

I knew I was going to have trouble with this challenge because I don't eat a lot of pickled stuff...and am wondering what pickled eggs actually taste like? Like Joan, I've seen them in old school bars but have never ever tried them. I love the idea of pickling them in the beet juice but how long is "not long?" Very pretty entry, Christo!

Deana Sidney said...

Well, I came incredibly close to making pickled eggs for this... even had some 19th c recipes for them all lined up and then went the meat route.

I remember them at a pub in the UK a zillion years ago, I thought it was terribly cool at the time. Low calorie, high protein and great with booze... can't get better than that!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

I've made these, it was a great choice for the challenge. Such a beautiful color too, thanks to beets all round ;-)

Unknown said...

I love pickled beets! For the memory of my dad and I love your pink expression for the breast cancer event. :)

Erica said...

Beautiful colors!I would love to try these pickled eggs! Great job!

Jennifer Kendall said...

I've somehow never had pickled eggs - I've really got to try some! they look gorgeous!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin